Father Harry Linnenbrink, a retired priest of the Diocese of Davenport, died June 17 in Hiawatha. He was 78.
Born in Fort Madison, he attended St. Mary Grade School there. He completed high school, college and his theology studies at the Pontifical College Josephinum in Worthington, Ohio.
On May 25, 1957, he was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Amelto Cicognani at the Pontifical College Josephium in Ohio.
Fr. Linnenbrink served as an assistant at St. Mary Parish in Albia from 1957-58, St. Anthony Parish in Davenport in 1958, St. Patrick Parish in Iowa City from 1958-67 and Our Lady of Victory Parish in Davenport from 1967-69. He then served as associate pastor at St. Patrick Parish in Iowa City from 1969-70 before becoming pastor at Sacred Heart Parish in Kinross and St. Joseph Parish in Wellman from 1970-76, St. Mary Parish in Grinnell from 1976-87, St. Wenceslaus Parish in Iowa City from 1987-1997 and St. Mary Parish in Newport from 1987-94. Fr. Linnenbrink also served as Episcopal vicar for the Iowa City Vicariate from 1987-97.
Other memberships included the Knights of Columbus and Priests’ Aid Society.
He retired in 1997.
Fr. Linnenbrink was a licensed pilot, enjoyed motorcycle and snowmobile riding and built grandfather clocks.
Visitation was held June 19. His funeral was held at St. Mary Church, Holy Family Parish, in Fort Madison. Burial was in Gethsemane Cemetery in Fort Madison.