By Anne Marie Amacher
Knights of Columbus councils throughout the state of Iowa will be out in force donning their yellow aprons and giving away Tootsie Rolls in their annual Persons with Intellectual Disabilities Drive.
Lorne Mayer, drive chairman for the Knights of Columbus Council 532 in Davenport, said 90 percent of the proceeds are donated to local community needs and 10 percent are allocated by the State Knights of Columbus. Most of the state money goes to Iowa Special Olympics. “There are no administrative costs involved,” Mayer said of the drive.
Davenport’s Council 532 has set a goal of $45,000.
Volunteers will spread throughout Davenport Aug. 19-22.
Last year’s money went to Scott County Special Olympics, Scott County ARC, work programs for those with mental disabilities through Davenport Public Schools, Handicapped Development Center, Unified Sports Program, Up with Families and more.
Other council dates:
• Clinton Council 707 held its drive Aug. 6-8.
• Fort Madison Council 739 held its drives Aug. 6-7.
• Laurent Council 365 in Muscatine held its drive July 29-31 and at the parishes Aug. 7-8.
• Ss. Joseph & Cabrini’s council in Richland will have its drive at the parish Aug. 15.
• Centerville’s Council 2144 will hold its drive Sept. 18.
• Oskaloosa Knights will hold its drive Aug. 8 -15.
• Keokuk Knights of Columbus drive is Sept. 17-18.
• LeClaire Knights of Columbus drive is Aug. 12-14.
• Grinnell’s Council 4248 drive will be Sept. 8-10.
• Council 4167 of Albia will do its drive Aug. 28 and 29.