Sister Mary of the Angels Klein, OSF, died at The Alverno in Clinton on April 23.
Born July 5, 1913, in Rensselaer, Ind., and baptized Bernice Dorothy, she entered the congregation of Sisters of St. Francis at Mount St. Clare Convent, Clinton, on June 13, 1932. She received the name Mary of the Angels on April 17, 1933, made her first profession June 19, 1935, and her final profession June 19, 1938.
Sr. Klein earned an A.A. degree at Mount St. Clare College and a B.A. degree in art education at Immaculate Heart College, Los Angeles. She also studied at St. Ambrose College, Davenport; Iowa State University, Ames; Loras College, Dubuque; De Paul University and The Art Institute, Chicago; and Western Illinois University, Macomb, Ill. She held teaching certification for Iowa and California.
Sr. Klein spent 37 of her 62 years of active ministry at St. Anthony Parish, Reedley, Calif., where she served in several capacities, including middle-grades teacher and principal, religious education instructor, and pastoral minister. She also taught in the Midwest for 25 years, including at St. Patrick’s in Clinton. She retired to The Canticle, Clinton, in 1997 and moved to The Alverno in September 2009.
Funeral was slated for April 27 at The Canticle. Burial is in St. Irenaeus Cemetery, Clinton.