The Carmelite nuns of Eldridge invite the public to a Mass celebrating the Carmelite community’s 100th anniversary in the Diocese of Davenport. A Mass will be celebrated at 4 p.m. Oct. 29 at Sacred Heart Cathedral in Davenport.
The first Sisters arrived in Davenport in November 1911 from Baltimore. Their first site was at 15th and Brady streets in Davenport. After undertaking various expansions, the Sisters moved to a Bettendorf hilltop in 1916 where they resided until they moved to rural Eldridge in 1975.
According to their newsletter, “From then until now, our Sisters have been embracing the needs of the people of our diocese, our country and the world in our hearts and in our prayers.”