By Anne Marie Amacher
DAVENPORT – A now-weathered copper box served as a time capsule for 128 years in the cornerstone of Ambrose Hall at St. Ambrose University. As a result of renovation at Ambrose Hall, the cornerstone – dedicated July 5, 1885 — was recently removed and the time capsule pulled from it.
The university held a news conference for the opening of the time capsule on May 23 in the Ambrose Hall board room. Representatives of the university, media and other individuals watched with anticipation as Father George McDaniel, a retired St. Ambrose history professor, opened the shoe-box sized container.
Having written a history book titled “A Great and Lasting Beginning — The First 125 Years of St. Ambrose University,” Fr. McDaniel knew what was inside the time capsule.
To read the rest of this article, subscribe to The Catholic Messenger’s e-edition.