By Anne Marie Amacher
The Catholic Messenger
DAVENPORT — In observance of the Year of Mercy, the Diocese of Davenport is hosting a daylong conference July 30 at St. Ambrose University to help parish representatives to develop and maintain various ministries of mercy.
Tom East of the Center for Ministry Development will be the keynote speaker. Sarah Kroger, a Catholic singer/songwriter from Florida will offer an evening of prayer the night before, July 29, and serve as the conference music minister.
The conference begins with registration, hospitality and a ministry fair in Cosgrove Hall dining room from 8:30-9:30 a.m. Music ministry, welcome, prayer and the keynote with East will be held from 9:45-11 a.m. in Christ the King Chapel.
Three separate breakout sessions will be available for participants to attend during the day: 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., 1:30-2:30 p.m. and 2:45-3:45 p.m. All breakouts will be held in McCarthy Hall. Lunch will be served in the Cosgrove dining hall and the ministry fair continues there during the break from 12:15-1:30 p.m.
Following the last breakout session, a concluding session will be held in the chapel from 4-4:45 p.m. A closing liturgy with Bishop Martin Amos begins at 4:45 p.m. in the chapel.
Here are the various breakouts planned:
• Calming troubled waters: Ministering to couples who are hurting, by Linda Manternach.
• Communion to the sick and dying: Mercy to those who cannot be with us, by Deacon Frank Agnoli and Deacon Dan Huber.
• Economic realities, moral challenges for Iowans, by Mike Owen.
• End of Life: A Catholic perspective on supportive care, by Colleen Walters.
• Extending mercy to youth on the margins, by Tom East.
• Hope for the journey – Finding peace in grief recovery, by Robert Wamer.
• How to develop and maintain a parish nurse ministry, by Jennifer Hildebrand.
• Mercy in music: Leading people to the God of mercy through music, by Sarah Kroger.
• Ministering to children with special needs, by Lisa Willows.
• Respecting life, expressing mercy, by Kent Ferris.
• Same-sex attraction and pastoral care: Witnessing to truth with love, by Father Jerry Kopacek.
• Special Faith Saturday: Ministering to those with special needs, by Nancy Shannon.
• Starting a nonprofit from the group up: Lessons from Project 15:12 Love One Another, by Monica Burchett and Karley Driscoll.
• The Beauty of her varied face: Ministry to the many cultures in our church, by Father Joseph Sia.
• Welcoming the stranger: Refugees and immigrants in Iowa, by Steve Schmitz and Mary Ready.
Cost for the conference is $30 and includes hospitality, lunch and materials.
For more information about the sessions visit www.davenportdiocese.org/ YearOfMercyConference.htm or contact Marianne Agnoli at (563) 888-4242 or email@example.com.
Deadline is July 15.